Review process at Dream Science
All Dream Science journals are fully peer-reviewed. We only publish articles that have been reviewed and approved by highly qualified researchers with expertise in a field appropriate for the article.
Every journal that we publish has an Editorial Board comprising qualified academics from institutions around the globe. You can find out who sits on the Editorial Board of a journal by visiting the ‘Editorial Board’ page, linked from each journal’s page on dsjournal.com. A member of the board will be appointed as Handling Editor for your manuscript. This selection is based on the Editors’ availability and suitability. Conflicts of interest are taken into consideration when making a selection. An appointed Editor may decide not to review a manuscript.
Upon receiving a manuscript, the Editor has the option to reject it outright. This may happen if it is not a good fit for the journal (for help on selecting the right journal, see our page selecting the right journal for your research) or of insufficient quality. Providing the Editor is satisfied, they will initiate the peer review process.
The Editor appoints a number of external reviewers. Dream Science has developed a special management system that helps them to identify suitable reviewers. They are also free to nominate reviewers from contacts within their field. The editor cannot also act as a reviewer. To encourage honest and constructive feedback the identities of the reviewers are not known to the author(s).
Providing they accept the request to review, the reviewers will read and assess the manuscript. They will then make one of the following recommendations:
- Publish Unaltered
- Consider after Minor Changes
- Consider after Major Changes
Using the submitted reviews, the Editor is then able to make a final recommendation on the manuscript. A manuscript must be rejected when the majority of the reviewers recommend doing so.
Based on the recommendation made by the reviewers, further steps may be necessary:
- Publish Unaltered: The manuscript will receive a further check from Dream Science’s Editorial Team for consistency. Once complete, the author will be notified of the acceptance of their manuscript.
- Consider after Minor Changes: The author will receive feedback and be asked to submit an amended version addressing the reviewers’ concerns. The Editor will check the amended manuscript and ensure the concerns have been addressed. Once satisfied, the Editor can accept the manuscript.
- Consider after Major Changes: The author will receive feedback and be asked to submit an amended version addressing the reviewers’ concerns. The amended manuscript will be reissued to the original reviewers who can then make a publishing recommendation. The Editor will then make a recommendation, which could also require further amendments. Providing the reviewers and Editor are satisfied, the recommendation to publish will be given.
- Reject: The manuscript is immediately rejected.
Dream Science operates a ‘Double blind’ approach to peer review; reviewers know the authors’ names, but the authors are not told the reviewers’ names. Each Dream Science journal has an acknowledgment page for researchers who performed the peer review process for one or more journal manuscript in the past year. Without the significant contributions of these researchers, the publication of the journal would not be possible.